Would option 1 (BGP) be viable if there were a pair of 530s and a pair
of routers supporting a multiple DS3 internet connection.
Bill

On Wednesday, October 31, 2001, at 10:35 AM, Dan Hitchcock wrote:

As with other routers, using multiple default routes will not (as you
have observed) provide "poor man's load balancing". You have several

#1 - run BGP on your Nokia box (not recommended - this will kill an
IP110)
#2 - run something more benign like RIP, run BGP on your border
routers, and redistribute your BGP routes into RIP (this will probably
also put quite a load on your firewall, and may become an
administrative headache)

#3 - use a load-balancer product like RadWare or Foundry to
dynamically share the load across the two links
#4 - "split the internet" by creating two routes to represent the
internet. For example, I've found in the past that a routing table
like this will give a decent balance of traffic on the links (although
this may vary greatly depending on the nature of traffic in your
network):

network        gateway
0.0.0.0/1       router1
128.0.0.0/2 router1
0.0.0.0/0      router2

This will send addresses 0.0.0.0-191.255.255.255 out router1, and the
rest out router2. You could obviously just split in in half as well,
but I found that to be lopsided in terms of utilization in my
environment.

HTH - any comments, disagreements, etc are, as always, welcome.

Dan Hitchcock

We have a Nokia (110) and two upstream routers in parallel and would
like the firewall to use both paths. I added both router's IP
addresses
plug it back in, all the traffic reverts to the second route again. Is
there any way to set it up to use both?