[FW-1] Unknown established TCP packet

Hi,

I have brought this subject up several times and after experiencing problems
again with this error-message I would like to find out what's going on here.
I hope someone can add something usefull in this discussion and hopefully it
becomes clear why this is happening and what can be done to prevent it from
happening again. I'd one happy FW admin.. ;-))

I have experienced problems with this with two different setup's. First
setup was a Nokia IP440 running IPSO 3.4 FW-1 SP 4 and the second setup was
a Nokia IP530 loaded with IPSO 3.3 FW-1 4.1 SP 3. In both occasions I have
disabled Flows (through the 'ipsofwd slowpath' command and editing the
fwstart and rc.fwload scripts. Only in the IP530 setup I have tried to
un-comment the line #define ALLOW_NON_SYN_RULEBASE_MATCH in
$FWDIR/lib/fwui_head.def, but unfortunately to no avail..

The connections affected by this error are all tcp-protocols like http, ssh
and database traffic. SSH and database-traffic
(to Informix-dbases on port 1526) are affected with user-impact. Connections
drop and database queries seem to freeze up.. The effects on http-traffic a
little bit less evident, but clearly visible in the log as affected.

Traffic is originated from different subnets and from behind different
interfaces. I have connected three interface as internal and one to the
Internet which works as external (quite naturally). As it affects almost all
tcp-protocols I doubt that it is something application specific. I also rule
out any network-problems. All links to the firewall are either 100 Mbit / FD
or 10 Mbit/ HD correctly configured on both sides..

I have no problems running either IPSO 3.2.1 with FW-1 4.1 SP 1 or Solaris 7
running FW-1 4.1 SP 2.... If theory is right and it is the Non-ACK setting
that is not applicable in SP 1 than it would be clear that it works on IPSO
3.2.1 with SP 1. But why do I have no problems with a Solaris 7 and SP 2
setup?? I checked the $FWDIR/lib/fwui_head.def file on this system and I
can't find the #define ALLOW_NON_SYN_RULEBASE_MATCH line at all.. So to me
it should say that the Non-ACK check is present in the software (it's not
explicitly uncommented..) and therefore I also should have had problems with
the Solaris config, which I haven't...

This leads me to believe there's something wrong with the Flows mechanism
and the Non-ACK check in IPSO.. But then again, I have disabled Flows in
both setups, so why does the error still pops up???

As said, I have followed steps advised in Nokia Knowledge Base resolutions
3317 (which handles the specific log error incl. the line in
$FWDIR/lib/fwui_head.def) and 4188 (disabling Flows). The nearest resolution
which might be describing this problem is 5034, but this mentions the drops
of connections in a HA/VRRP-config, which I don't use.. So to me, it isn't
applicable. As also said, those workarounds do not work..

Am I forgetting something?? Do I need to upgrade?? The latter seems
unrealistic to me as the newest release notes for IPSO (3.4.1) and
FW-1-version (4.1 SP5 incl. hotfix) do not mention any fixes for either
problem..

I hope someone can help me..

Greetz,

Nils Kolstein