Re: [FW-1] Upgrade 4.1 to NG

We have had a few niggling problems with the installation on Solaris,
as it is very hard to get FW-1 NG to cooperate with a machine that
needs to be hardened. Examples are:

* it cannot live with /usr and /opt mounted read-only.

* the desktop policy package (and others) create their log-directory
  as a direcoty in the /opt-hierarchy, not as a symlink to /var/opt

* package install scripts depends on absolute paths so it is
  completely useless in an automated install environmens
  (JumpStart+JASS).

* it has a tmp-firectory under the /opt-hierarchy, which is (as with
  the log-directory over) an actual directory, not a symlink to
  /var/opt. It doesnt even check that its tmp-directory is writable
  and cpver and friend will happily try to run and segfault for no
  apparent good reason.

* It will replace /usr/sbin/ndd during boot, with its home grown
  version.

If anyone at Chekpoint is listening and wants to integrate good
support for their product on a very locked down machine I'm more than
willing to submit patches to the package install scripts and runtime
scripts to make this a happier place.

cheers,
Alexander