[FW-1] Incorrect NAT translation

Has anyone heard of a problem with NAT translation resolving the http address as the internal ip address rather than the external ip address?

We are setting up an http accelerator behind our Nokia 440 firewall where the box must be "seen" from the outside.
I have configured address translation manually from the internal to external and back.
Created both internal and external ip's as workstations. (Tried putting external ip into NAT tab of internal but made no difference).
Entered "any external any accept" and "internal any any accept" on the security policy tab.
Finally, went on to voyager and created static route to internal ip address range and put a proxy arp of the external ip address on the external firewall interface ( where they are both in the same ip range ).

We know our accelerator sees our pings put does not reply. We have our laptop gui infront of the firewall and behind our ext router, and from there we can enter our accelerator happily using internal ip address but not external.
>From outside the network, the http string automatically changes from external to internal then times out again the accelerator sees these http requests but does not reply.

We are so close to cracking it (or ourselves!).
Please, does anyone know what the missing piece of the jigsaw is?

regards,

Rory Stewart
Systems Engineer