Re: [FW-1] VPN appliance for remote office

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 02:00:16PM +0100, Durwin Brown wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm considering implementing a VPN as an alternative to international ISDN
> dialup routers we currently use.
>
> My applications are basically Windows Terminal Services (No Citrix at the
> moment) plus LPR for printing to JetDirect type print servers.
>
> I was thinking of using some sort of VPN appliance to handle encryption at
> remote offices, not least because I can't load SecureClient onto a printer
> device. Options presented to me include Intel, Lucent, GnatsBox, Sonicwall,
> PDS and Cisco. We currently have FW4.1 (no VPN) as our central firewall but
> I might dump it in favour of something cheaper - it seems overkill for our
> internet usage and we have no significant in-house skills. Right now it
> looks like the smart money is on Cisco.
>
> Does anyone out there have experience of running these devices, either in
> terms of the approach / configuration and/or specific hardware?

        I've setup a Nokia cc500 cyptocluster and Cisco routers
        to Checkpoint for site to site VPNs. Both work great and
        considering Checkpoint's brain-dead licensing scheme, are
        preferred. The cc500 costs $1200 and will do a full T1 @ 3DES.
        For a Cisco you'd need a 2651 with the accelerator module,
        perhaps you need a router anyway ? Cisco costs more but you
        can do GRE tunnels and then failover or ISDN backup.

                                        alan