Re: [FW-1] Topology issue

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, FireWall-1 (Layer-0) wrote:

>After trying several options, I tried the following rule at the top of the
>rulebase:
>Any->Firewall->(Port 256)->Accept
>and viola! it works.

They probably disabled 'Accept FW1 Connections' in Policy Properties.

>My question is:
>a) should this rule be necessary?

Tighter security for the firewalls, deny that which is not explicitly
allowed.  I think that answers (and/or negates) all your questions.

>b) is this a known issue with SP1, or is it unique to this site?
>c) not being able to see any reason for this, why is it necessary?

Chipper

------
                      Please encrypt anything important.
   PGP Key: http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6CFA486D
    temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety " - Benjamin Franklin