Re: [FW-1] CheckPoint FireWall-1 "INSECURE" SMTP server - BIG HOL E!!

Agreed on ALL points.

Dan
-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Atkinson [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 12:24 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW-1] CheckPoint FireWall-1 "INSECURE" SMTP server - BIG HOLE!!

There are cases though in which it's impossible to configure the firewall SMTP security server correctly. In my case I have a mail server that I don't even know how many domain names there are. It's either in the upper hundreds of domains or a little of a thousand. Now try to write an SMTP resource with a thousand domain names in it that may have additions/deletions at a moments notice. Even in some larger companies where I've worked we still would have dozens of domain names that can all be used for email, so SMTP resources reach a point in which they are very cumbersome, difficult to administer, and you're duplicating the work that others have already done elsewhere.

CheckPoint has always had flaws in it's SMTP security server and dequeuer (mdq), and many of the other technical issues have been addressed here before (MX record issues, dequeuing priority, CVP, etc.). Plus with having to define domain names not only on every mail server, but now on the firewalls too, it's much easier to either have a properly configured mail server with anti-virus on there, or create a sandwich of mail servers in front (or DMZ) and behind the firewalls. Let the entry point mail servers handle anti-relaying and pass valid email inbound to your company mail server. I've been down this route before in more than one company and have always found it better to dump the CheckPoint SMTP server and just build a properly configured mail system.

Ron

Dan Hitchcock wrote:

(Response to Miles' original post)

Interesting finding...

I tested your data as described below, and I am not convinced that this "allows relaying".  The whole concept of relay restriction is that some destinations are permitted, and others are not.  The syntax you suggest causes the message to be forwarded to the mail server defined in the SMTP resource rule (the "permitted destination"), but where does it go from there?  Well, if you're using any mail server I've ever seen, absolutely nowhere.  The firewall has done its job - as you noted in your original post, the SMTP security server does not forward to "forbidden" destinations as relay when properly configured.  The destination mail server will drop the request, as it will be unable to find a user named "fred%hotmail.com" in its local address table.

The blah%blah.com syntax won't be automatically converted to a valid address by any mail server I know of, much less forwarded, and even if it was, we're now talking about a problem on the mail server, not the firewall.  As you noted, you can put whatever you want as long as it ends in @domain.com, but I fail to see the relevance.

Example:

220 CheckPoint FireWall-1 secure SMTP server
helo breakwater.net
250 Hello breakwater.net, pleased to meet you
mail from:<[email protected]>
250 <[email protected]>... Sender ok
rcpt to:<vf^hnhj#$bg()@breakwater.net>
250 <vf^hnhj#$bg()@break... Recipient ok

As with all other security tools, the administrator is welcome to mis/non-configure their software, but this does not mean that the vendor has produced a faulty or insecure product.

If anyone has successfully used the firewall-1 SMTP security server when properly configured as a relay, or accomplished anything with the data provided by Miles, please post.

Dan Hitchcock