From: "Nick Ellenden" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 11:15 AM
Subject: Re: [FW-1] PPPoE and IKE

> Hi,
>
> The issue with PPPoE, along with other provider networks which need
dynamic addressing, either DHCP or PPPoATM, is that IPSec absolutly HATES
dymanic ip addressing. You need to either, be given a static ip address for
both ends, or use a VPN solution which can perform, IPSec over NAT, like
F-Secure VPN clients, Nokia VPN clients and the Altega client from Cisco.
These then support IPSec over NAT, but the clients must talk back to the
same manufacturers compatible gateway, you lose the inter-compatibility of
IPSec : ( The IETF are working on standardising this now.

> Bestest,
>
> nick

Cisco