Re: [FW-1] Checkpoint Sizing... HELP!

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 12:16:35PM -0400, Chris Labatt-Simon - D&D Consulting wrote:
> We currently have a userbase of 15,000 users and are running the following:
>
> - Checkpoint VPN-1 4.1 SP4
> - Stonebeat Fullcluster 2.0
> - Two Sun Enterprise 250's, single 300Mhz processor, 1GB RAM, dual 18GB
> drives with Disksuite Mirroring
> - One Sun Ultra/2 for a management station
> - Five DMZs
> - Websense, running locally on each firewall with the firewall pointing to
> 127.0.0.1 for UFP Access
> - About 150 rules
> - A 6MB upstream/downstream pipe to AT&T
>
> - Move Websense off of the firewalls (reduces high availability as 4.1 does
> not support load balancing across multiple servers)

First, make sure you know what is causing the load; I'd guess it's the
HTTP Security Server. You can try to stop using the HTTP Security Server
alltogether for some time -- if that helps, then not only move Websense
off the firewalls, also stop using UFP, instead use Websense either on
your proxy caches or in a proxy chain.

Alternatively, you could use UFP caching, which is mentioned in SP-2
release notes; they say there should be a doc "URL Performance
Enhancements" at http://www.checkpoint.com/support/technical/.

Regards,

Hanus Adler