[FW-1] Checkpoint Sizing... HELP!

Suggestions here would be greatly appreciated.

We currently have a userbase of 15,000 users and are running the following:

- Checkpoint VPN-1 4.1 SP4
- Stonebeat Fullcluster 2.0
- Two Sun Enterprise 250's, single 300Mhz processor, 1GB RAM, dual 18GB
drives with Disksuite Mirroring
- One Sun Ultra/2 for a management station
- Five DMZs
- Websense, running locally on each firewall with the firewall pointing to
127.0.0.1 for UFP Access
- About 150 rules
- A 6MB upstream/downstream pipe to AT&T

We currently see (within stonebeat) about 75%-100% load on both
firewalls.  If anyone else here has this number of users, how many
firewalls do you currently have in place and of what type?  We are trying
to determine a new architecture which increases performance (substantially)
while maintaining high availability.  A few of the things we can try today are:

- Move Websense off of the firewalls (reduces high availability as 4.1 does
not support load balancing across multiple servers)
- Purchase two more processors (one for each firewall) so the http security
servers can multi-process (don't know how much performance this will
actually add)
- Upgrade to NG (adds UFP load balancing, but relatively untested and would
be going into a very high load environment)

Some of the other items we can look into is the purchase of additional
firewalls, etc., but we would prefer to hear from people with a similar
number of users first to determine how many firewalls we should potentially
put in.

Any help would be *greatly* appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------- Chris Labatt-Simon E-MAIL: [email protected] D & D Consulting, Ltd. WEB: http://www.dandd.com Albany, New York PHONE:

INTERNET CORE AND SERVICE PROVIDER SERVICES/UNIX/SECURITY/WAN/LAN
Authorized Juniper, Extreme Networks, F5 and Cisco Partners
ISP/CLEC/LEC Networks at Wire Speed http://www.coreservice.com