Sent: 23 October 2001 15:00
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW-1] VPN appliance for remote office

Hi Folks,

I'm considering implementing a VPN as an alternative to international ISDN dialup routers we currently use.

My applications are basically Windows Terminal Services (No Citrix at the moment) plus LPR for printing to JetDirect type print servers.

I was thinking of using some sort of VPN appliance to handle encryption at remote offices, not least because I can't load SecureClient onto a printer device. Options presented to me include Intel, Lucent, GnatsBox, Sonicwall, PDS and Cisco. We currently have FW4.1 (no VPN) as our central firewall but I might dump it in favour of something cheaper - it seems overkill for our internet usage and we have no significant in-house skills. Right now it looks like the smart money is on Cisco.

Does anyone out there have experience of running these devices, either in terms of the approach / configuration and/or specific hardware?

Any contributions most appreciated.

Regards,

Durwin Brown
Business Planning & IT Manager