From: Durwin Brown [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 9:00 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW-1] VPN appliance for remote office

Hi Folks,

I'm considering implementing a VPN as an alternative to international ISDN
dialup routers we currently use.

My applications are basically Windows Terminal Services (No Citrix at the
moment) plus LPR for printing to JetDirect type print servers.

I was thinking of using some sort of VPN appliance to handle encryption at
remote offices, not least because I can't load SecureClient onto a printer
device. Options presented to me include Intel, Lucent, GnatsBox, Sonicwall,
PDS and Cisco. We currently have FW4.1 (no VPN) as our central firewall but
I might dump it in favour of something cheaper - it seems overkill for our
internet usage and we have no significant in-house skills. Right now it
looks like the smart money is on Cisco.

Does anyone out there have experience of running these devices, either in
terms of the approach / configuration and/or specific hardware?

Any contributions most appreciated.

Regards,

Durwin Brown
Business Planning & IT Manager
Canford Audio Plc
United Kingdom

<<Disclaimer>>

This electronic mail is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named
herein. Unless otherwise specifically stated, the views contained and
expressed in this electronic mail are strictly those of the individual
sender and are not the views of the Company or any of its Directors or other
employees. If you are not the intended recipient of this electronic mail,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or coping of
this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this electronic
mail in error please immediately notify us by return electronic mail and
delete this electronic mail from your system.