Re: [FW-1] multiple connections using service 32778

I have built FW's on Solaris and I have seen these connections too.
If you put a utility called "lsof" on your box, you can see the process which is using the
particular ports. It's helped me sleep better on a number of occaisions.
I think in your case I think you'll see that the Firewall process has them. (eg: I think you're probably ok).
You can get lsof from www.sunfreeware.com
To see which process has which port, type lsof -i :<port#>
eg:
to see all current connections on port 80, type
./lsof -i :80  <enter>

lsof can do a whole lot more. Highly reccomended. What a bargain. ;-)

re: sun box for FW duty - unless you absolutely need the CDE, you should be able to disable
rpc services entirely IIRC (if you have not already) . I'd reccomend taking out the references in the config files as well as deleting the binary to things like FTP, Telnet, Sendmail, etc. There are a number of good "how to's" out there if you need one or just want a different perspective.

Not sure why the stealth rule does not stop this completely, must be something about
the way that CP deals with some kinds of connections (how it evaluates them).. I dunno.
It bugs me too FWIW.

Lastly, there are a number of firms out there working on developing dynamic routing protocols who use high #
UDP ports usually. I have called a couple to find out what they're up to when I've seen the logs
go by.. I'll get splatted with hundreds of hits on a high port.. Lately I've had lots of stuff stopped on port tcp/51092. That seems to be the port du jour.

HTH,

Joe Pampel

>>> Robert Woods <[email protected]> 10/22/01 11:35AM >>>
Hello Elisabeth,
  This is all I could find on port 32778.

Port 32778 / tcp
Keyword sometimes-rpc19
Description Sometimes an RPC port on my Solaris box (rstatd)

Port 32778 / udp
Keyword sometimes-rpc20
Description Sometimes an RPC port on my Solaris box (rstatd)

  Haven't seen such activity on my boxes.

Robert Woods