[FW-1] NG and Secure Domain Login Slow

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: [FW-1] NG and Secure Domain Login Slow
  • From: "Palmer, Kevin" <[email protected]>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 19:22:15 -0400
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

Everyone,

Has anyone tested SDL with NG yet? I have tested SDL with four W2K Pro
systems connected to broadband and it always takes over 5 minutes to log
into the domain. I decided to eliminate broadband from the equation by
connecting a notebook to the public IP side of the firewall. I also
removed the public IP segment from the userc.c file.

Test Environment
10Mbps Ethernet Connection
PII 400, 256Mb RAM, W2K Pro SP1

Event                           Time mm:ss      Ref
W2K Pro Boot                    43:20
W2K Pro Splash Screen           43:30           A1
W2K Pro Ctrl-Alt-Del            46:45           A2
W2K Pro Password Entered        47:01           B1
W2K Pro Start Windows Sound     50:40           B2
W2K Pro Desktop Appears 51:??

My theory is that SDL increases the time from A1 to A2 and from B1 to
B2.

Loging out and back into Windows is a time consuming process with SDL.
>From the ctrl-alt-del prompt it took me 2 minutes and 35 seconds to log
back into Windows. I would normally expect to log into the network in
under 15 seconds.

Please share your experiences and or suggestions.

Thank You,

Kevin Palmer
Network Engineer - MCSE+I, CCSE, CCNA
Granite Solutions, Inc.