Re: [FW-1] FreeS/WAN as a Linux "SecureClient"

I have done this multiple times and haven't had any issues... I use it at
home!  the doc is helpful if you are a Linux newbie..

-----Original Message-----
From: John Castillo [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 7:29 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW-1] FreeS/WAN as a Linux "SecureClient"

i was able to pull this off with a remote linux user.  not sure what
hoops he went through so i dare not attempt the linux-side explanation.
took some doing but the doc helped a little bit.  as it stands now, it
works.  the tunnel breaks if you push a policy but aside from that it
works fine...

On Thu, 2001-10-18 at 15:51, Brian Noecker wrote:
> For those of you who have setup FreeS/WAN and Checkpoint VPN-1, did the
> document "Linux as a VPN Client to FireWall-1" help in setting this up?
Its
> seems to be the right document for the task, except that it asks you to
> setup the linux vpn box as a workstation object, then select the IKE /
> Shared Secret/ SHA/ properties from the VPN tab.  These options are only
> available for FW Gateway objects (i.e. when you select VPN FW-1 and
> version).  The ordinary Workstation object only allows for Manual IPSec
and
> SKIP.

you're right here.. you have to define the linuxVPNgateway as a VPN-1 FW
object.  that should let you select IKE and setup a shared secret.  if
the linuxVPNgateway has some encryption domains of its own you have to
define those as a network object AND as part of the linuxVPNgateways
encryption domain.  you should also setup a few rules to allow for
traffic from linuxVPNgateway and linuxVPNencryptiondomain to your office
encryption domain, encrypt. also add the reverse in a separate rule;
from your office encryption domain back to linux(stuff) encrypt. took a
while to figure out... big pain but its doable and it works.

> I can setup the Linux FW as a FW module, but it is inconvenient as a
> replacement for a windows SecureClient user becuase you have all these FW
> modules hanging around when installing, etc.  Plus it then allows for the
> Linux gateway to have encryption domains behind it and act as a FW itself,
> rather than just a VPN client.

never tried to setup the secureclient piece... i didn't know there that
FreeS/WAN allowed you use that CP feature.  i'm not well verse in
secureclient as it is.  why can't you just use iptables as your firewall
and FreeS/WAN as your VPN client?  i thought secureclient allowed you to
setup a FW-like policy for remote users on their own machines... kinda
like a mini firewall?  are you saying that there is a FreeS/WAN module
that accomplishes this?  interesting... i imagine you can just use
iptables and be done with it.

its a pain... gl
john.