[FW-1] FreeS/WAN as a Linux "SecureClient"

For those of you who have setup FreeS/WAN and Checkpoint VPN-1, did the
document "Linux as a VPN Client to FireWall-1" help in setting this up?  Its
seems to be the right document for the task, except that it asks you to
setup the linux vpn box as a workstation object, then select the IKE /
Shared Secret/ SHA/ properties from the VPN tab.  These options are only
available for FW Gateway objects (i.e. when you select VPN FW-1 and
version).  The ordinary Workstation object only allows for Manual IPSec and
SKIP.

I can setup the Linux FW as a FW module, but it is inconvenient as a
replacement for a windows SecureClient user becuase you have all these FW
modules hanging around when installing, etc.  Plus it then allows for the
Linux gateway to have encryption domains behind it and act as a FW itself,
rather than just a VPN client.

Am I wrong in these assumptions, or am I missing something?  Is there a
better solution utilizing Checkpoint FWs 4.1sp4 and a Linux 2.4.12 kernel
box?

Thanks in advance.