Re: [FW-1] Accessing Servers via Public IPs from Private Network

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: Re: [FW-1] Accessing Servers via Public IPs from Private Network
  • From: Hal Dorsman <[email protected]>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:13:06 -0600
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

No. Default routing would determine the destination IP
to be on a different network, so would forward packets
to the default gateway (firewall).  The firewall would
then need to route the packet back to the same interface
which FW1 does not seem to be able to do (at least I have
never figured out a way to get it to work).  The easiest
workaround is to use local host name resolution (/etc/hosts,
lmhosts) for local server access.

Hal