Re: [FW-1] Anti-Virus - Replacement for NAV for Firewalls

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 12:00:48AM -0700, Erin Young wrote:
> I am looking for a replacement to NAV for firewalls since it is not
> compatible with fw1 v4.1. Might I ask this list for some of thier opinions
> on the anti-virus solutions availble for gateways. Currently I am looking at
> Trend Micro's Interscan and Mcafee's e500 appliance. Also, I am trying to
> set up Trend Micro Interscan to demo it, but the eval does not allow auto
> update. Does anyone know how to manually update the patterns and engine.

I'm currently also running Trend Micro Interscan as demo (on Solaris).
To update the patterns manualy -> Pattern updates/ Update virus patterns now.
Note: there is a procedure to allow automatic updates in demo mode, but I haven't
tried it. I think it's in the knowledgebase (couldn't check since their server appears
to be "too busy" at the moment)

An update of the engine can't be done automaticaly. You'll have to download
it from the website and manualy replace a library file. This procedure is
explained in the Admin guide if I recall correctly (also downloadable from the
web)

Note: from a number of sources I was told NOT to use CVP with FW-1 (not specificaly
with Tren Micro but in general when using antivirus software). Since this tends
to give very bad performance.  I currently have the virusscanner set up as a
seperate mailserver. All mail gets forwarded to it (due to the MX records in DNS),
gets scanned by the virusscanner and then gets forwarded to the real mailserver.
Works like a breeze.

The only problem I had was with "local domains" not getting honored due to some
hidden option in the intscan.ini file (this is NOT documented in the admin guide >-( ).
Other than that I didn't encounter any problems.

Nico

 "It has been said that there are only two businesses that
  refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
               the computer industry."
Nico De Ranter
Sony Service Center (SDCE/VPE-B)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
e-mail: [email protected]