Re: [FW-1] Checkpoint SMTP server and RBL+

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 11:31:18AM -0700, y m wrote:
> We want to use the RBL+ (MAPS) database to block mails
> from known spammers .
> Has anyone made to work RBL+ with this setup ?

no, and you won't either. Check Point SMTP server is too, ehm, simple to
do anything too useful, except that and in default setup, it advertises
your firewall to the world. (yes, it's really useful -- for hackers ;)

what you've got to do is to set the MX record to point to a real mail
server which should be in the DMZ. IMHO it shouldn't be sendmail. I'd
rather suggest Postfix (www.postfix.org), which is pretty easy to
configure and probably much safer than sendmail can ever be unless it's
rewritten from scratch.

There on the real mail server you setup all the anti-spam checks --
everything from access lists to RBL to content checks, and only after
that you can use the Check Point SMTP server to forward the email from
the DMZ to the internal mail server.

Regards,

Hanus Adler