[FW-1] Lost of an specific SMTP rule

Hello,

We have built an application that uses SMTP to interexchange informations with
an external system.
Our system administrator has configured the firewall to relay SMTP messages to
our machine where the
mail server, which is part of our application, is located.

>From time to time, we lost communication between the external peer system and
our system. The SMTP session
ends with a 554 error code (transaction failed) saying as part of the RCPT
command that the mailbox is unavailable.
Once this error occurs, we are unable to receive any mail from the external
system. Our mail server is ok since it is
still able to receive internal mail.

General Notice: SMTP-Deliver:GLAOKV05.WF3:Error "RCPT TO:<[email protected]>->554
Mailbox
unavailable.":<[email protected]>

Our system administrator says the fw lost the specific rule for our mail server.
The only solution is to reinstall that
specific rule which is an easy process.

My question is:

a) is it "normal" to have this "lost of rules" (any known bug, configuration
error, ...)?
b) in case of error, is it possible to define some alarm/log to detect it and
automatically restart
the rule? Note that the relay is working, but wrongly.

Thanks in advance

Gabriel

Esperamos su visita en:

Web corporativa: http://www.telefonica-data.es
Revista Pulso On Line: http://www.telefonica-data.es/pulso
T.I.C: http://www.tdatacenter.com/es

informacion privilegiada o confidencial cuya divulgacion esta prohibida en
virtud de la legislacion vigente. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, le
rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma via y proceda a su
destruccion.