Re: [FW-1] does checkpoint actually do a NAT (fwd)

Jay,

NAT does work on CheckPoint and Checkpoint usually follows RFC's pretty
closely, or at least closer than let's CISCO.
The way CheckPoint has implemented NAT does call for its peculiar setting,
but that does not in any way impede on its capabilities.
Depending on how you have constructed your NAT boundary you may or may not
have to arp for the various IPs, although you
will need to add the route (unless, of course you use the object properties,
or what is referred to as the 'auto rules').

So, to answer your questions. Yes, CheckPoint Firewall-1 does change the IP
header. You need to add a route because CheckPoint
inspect engine would hand it off to IP before re-writing the headers for
static-destination mode of NAT (per CP's definitions).

Al this is described in the Architecture and Administration manual.

Cheers.
George