Re: [FW-1] Messenger

Title: RE: [FW-1] Messenger

the hostname login.oscar.aol.com (AOL IM) resolves to at least 8 IP addresses:

205.188.3.160
205.188.3.176
205.188.5.204
205.188.5.208
205.188.7.172
205.188.7.176
205.188.7.164
205.188.7.168

for MSN Messenger, as far as I know, resolves to just one IP:
207.46.183.253 (messenger.msn.com)

there may be a better way to block this, but what I did was I created a workstation obj and in the NAME field of the WORKSTATION PROPERTIES dialog box I typed login.oscar.aol.com.  click the CHECK NAME button, and write the IP address it resolves to. repeat this process until you get all of the IP addresses.  you will know you got them all when the addresses start to repeat themselves.  then I created a workstation obj for each IP, created a group called RESTRICTED SITES (or AIM or whatever), and drop all of these w/s objects into that group. add the group to your rulebase

(INTERNAL_NET  |  RESTRICTED_SITES  |  ANY  |  DROP )

hope this helps.

regards,

Neil Delacruz
MCSE, CCNA, CCSE