Re: [FW-1] [FW1] FW1 as a bridge

First, even on NT you can use bridging, take a look at
Computer Associate eTrust Firewall which run on Windows NT/2000 and
can be configured in bridging mode. So the only reason why FW-1
doesn't support bridging mode is because Check Point did not implement it.

Next, i think on which O/S you run FW-1 doesn't matter, as far as security
is concerned if you configure it right. I personnally use Windows NT 4.0 and
don't see why W2K would be worst, as far as security is concerned, and i am
not on crack.

The inspection module of FW-1 sit right on top of the device driver for
the particular network card and before the lowest level of the O/S code see
it. So as long as you use the driver from the network card manufacturer,
the O/S is not concerned in the operation of the inspection module of FW-1.
So you just have to make in place FW-1 policies so no network trafic goes
to the O/S on the firewall server. (I.E. you hide the firewall)

So if i build a dedicated firewall by using the following steps:

1) Taking off the dedicated firewall from all the net so it can't be
   compromised during it's configuration.

2) Fresh format it from a floppy i boot off, so it is secure to start with.

3) Install the O/S (Patch it or not doesn't matter as far as security is
   concerned because as the O/S will be hidden from the network)

4) Install most current version of FW-1 and all it's patch, because it's
   the only part which will be security related.

5) Configure FW-1 policies so the only packet the FW-1 inspect module
   send/receive to/from the local host are those necessairy for FW-1
   operation if necessaire like management, GUI interface and authentification.

6) Plug the dedicated firewall to all the net it should, as he is now as safe
   as FW-1 can be safe.

7) Configure FW-1 policies so he relay the packets you want in and out
   of the protected network(s) to/from the unprotected network(s) the
   firewall is connected to.

I can't see why O/S A would be better/worst than O/S B as far as
security is concerned because no external packet can go to the O/S level
except for FW-1 internal use. I.E. The only port accessible on the Firewall
are all directly connected to one on the FW-1 process, none to the O/S or
to third party software.