Re: [FW1] 2nd external interface on FW

Ivan,
   Firewall license is based on either hostid or IP address of interface,
usually external interface. You can use 2 interfaces as external interfaces
even if your license is based on single interface. Firewall assume IP address
of that interface as hostid for system. It is your Firewall policy that
determines what is internal/external interface for practical purpose.

I think here you are trying to load balance/failover between two ISPs if that
is the case my opinion is to use external router which can do all this and
connect Firewall after this router. router will deal with all ISP quirks. But
anyway if you are connecting Firewall directly to ISP(such as Nokia boxes
etc.) then just define 2 default routes (one for each interface) and machine
should be able to failover if one interface (i.e one ISP) is down. IN general
I can forsee few operational problems here. As OS may be confused so does
FW-1 when one interface suddenly disappears especially when you are using
Encryption.

Thanks,
Rajeev

On Tuesday 02 October 2001 22:11, Ivan More wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running FW-1 ver 4.0 on an NT4 server.
>
> As our higher management wants redundancy to the
> Internet and suggested to have 2 External interfaces
> on the FW-1 ver 4.0 to 2 different ISP to provide
> redundancy?
>
> I do not think this is possible on FW-1 4.0.
>
> Is there such a licensing?
>
> Could someone provide or point me to such information
> as to whether it is possible?
>
> I need concrete information to convince them.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Cheers,
> Ivan

	Rajeev Kumar ([email protected])
		http://www.rajeevnet.com
-- PGP PUBLIC KEY -- http://www.rajeevnet.com/crypto/mypubkey
What's New on rajeevnet.com:
o Unix/Windows password Sync:
    http://www.rajeevnet.com/linux/passwd_sync/passwd_sync.html
o Wonders of 'dd' and 'netcat' :: Cloning Operating Systems
    http://www.rajeevnet.com/tips_hints/os_clone/os_cloning.html