RE: [FW1] Hacking through firewall-1

It would be interesting to know what the exploit was (if it was one of the exploits that were from the BlackHat conference or not) and what the version and patch level of the firewall was.  If any of the hackers from this group are on this list and would like to share that with us anonymously somehow I'm sure we would all greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian ALT [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 3:43 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW1] Hacking through firewall-1

We have seen the following information. We cannot guarantee it

TLAflash 2.10.2001
Hacker -- A group of U.K.-based hackers has cracked computers at the AlShamal Islamic Bank in Sudan and collected data on the accounts of the Al Qaeda terrorist organization and its leader Osama bin Laden, Kim Schmitz, a flamboyant German hacker/businessman, has claimed. This information cannot be confirmed and must be taken with caution. A team of U.K.-based hackers sprang into action, and hacked the nameserver of AlShamal Islamic Bank, he said. They were able to gain access to the bank's intranet by exploiting a "checkpoint firewall-1 vulnerability," he explained. After bypassing the firewall, the hackers achieved "superuser" status on the server, and "sniffed" eight valid user IDs, and then were able to collect information on accounts of Al Qaeda and bin Laden.

Since it seems that a Firewall-1 was abused, I just wanted the list to know about it. The original source is the following

http://www.elcom.co.uk/news_story.asp?id=637

Christian ALT

Telecom and Logistics Associates
Network and Security Company