RE: [FW1] Trend InterScan VirusWall - CVP - HTTP/FTP

This from the Nokia support site (nothing about this that I could find at
the Checkpoint support site):

FireWall-1 Error Message: FW-1 at : Failed to connect to the WWW server.

Check Point FireWall-1,   Authentication Methods and Servers
for version: 4.0 SP1  And Later

last update: 11/29/2000 21:10:35
There are currently two situations where this error message has been seen:
1) When using the "Predefined servers" functionality of the HTTP Security
Servers, and the error message is consistent and reproducible.

2) When browsing the internet, the error message occurs occasionally to
frequently, but the destination URLs are not consistant.

Another question which has come up is whether the message can be changed to
something more friendly.
SOLUTION
Problem 1
If the firewall administrator is using Predefined Servers, i.e., HTTP
Servers defined on the Security Servers tab of the Policy Properties dialog
box, and if this problem is consistant for particular URLs defined in that
list, then the problem probably indicates an issue with the HTTP Server
definition. In particular, if the final server is not listening to the port
defined in the HTTP Server definition, the Security Server will return the
above error message to the client.

Problem 2
This error message occurs when using Authentication or Content Security and
indicates that the HTTP Security Server was unable to connect to the
destination server. DNS, routing or some other problem (e.g., the
destination server is down or slow) is preventing the HTTP Security Server
from reaching the site in a timely fashion.

What makes the problem worse is that the HTTP Security Server is acting as a
proxy server. Ordinarily a browser will retry a site if problems occur. The
FireWall-1 HTTP Security Server, however, will simply time out and send an
error page to the client. If a browser receives an error page from the
Security Server, it will stop retrying and will not attempt to use alternate
IP address. Because popular and busy sites are most likely to experience
short term problems which are allieviated by browser retries, those sites
can frequently receive this error.

The work around is to ask the users to completely reload the site, i.e.,
hold shift while hitting Reload. Different webbrowsers have different
degrees of sensitivity to this problem. Upgrading to FireWall-1 v4.0 SP5, or
to FireWall-1 v4.1 SP1 (but not FireWall-1 v4.1) may somewhat alieviate the
problem.

Websense is a popular UFP Server product which uses the HTTP Security Server
functionality of FireWall-1. Most users who experience this problem are also
using Websense. The Knowledge Base at Websense's website contains another
explaination of the problem. The problem, however, is external to Websense
Server.

To troubleshoot the actual problem, a network administrator would need to
use a protocol analyzer or use a utility like tcpdump to figure out what is
different about queries that are accepted and ones that are blocked.

There is no way to change the error message to say something else. It is
hard coded into the FireWall-1 binaries and can not be changed.

Kevin