From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 5:25 AM
To: [email protected]
Cc: Erik Esmeijer
Subject: [FW1] (2) Bad SIC status between NT4.0 and Linux RH6.2

Hi,

(1)

Im evaluating Checkpoint NG with a distributed setup:

- management server and management clients on Windows NT Workstation SP6a
- enforcement module on Linux Redhat 6.2, kernel 2.2.19

normal communication between the two machines is ok, but when I use
the Policy editor on the management host, and enter the Linux box
as a gateway, it is possible to establish a trust under the
Communication button, but testing the SIC status is not possible:

Sic status from <host>: Not Communicating

Internal SSL authentication error [ alert from peer bad certificate ]

*** Contact Check Point Support ***

(2)

Also, when using secure update, It is not possible to attach a central
license for the enforcement module. I right-click the Linux gateway
that has the enforcement module installed and that I had to enter
in the policy editor first, then I choose Attach Licenses... A dialog
box will popup, and I select one of my licenses, and click on the Attach
button. NOTHING HAPPENS. no error, nothing.

(3)

In both cases (1) and (2), when I run tcpdump at the Linux gateway on the
interface that is connected to the management host, I will see some traffic
between:

linuxgw.zinopsys.nl.18191 > mgmthst.zinopsys.nl.1144
mgmthst.zinopsys.nl.1144 > linuxgw.zinopsys.nl.18191
etc..

At the same time, on the console will be logged:

FW-1: cannot write to host_table

My wild guess is, that checkpoint modules have an internal host_table which
are needed for both SIC communication and plugging in the licenses.
If, for some reason ???? the module can't write to the host_table,
It also won't communicate with remote modules.

Anyone who can tell me what a host_table is, where I can find it, and
help it to behave in a better way?

(BTW, latest hotfixes are installed on both machines)

Grtz -- hansb

| Hans Bayle <[email protected]>                 |
| Technical Consultant                                |
| Zinopsys BV                                         |
| phone +31 20 6123614                                |
| mobile +31 6 53948140                               |
| fax +31 20 6123849                                  |
| [email protected]                              |