From: Smith, Martin [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2001 1:14 PM
To: FW1 List
Cc: Niall, Declan; Bukovec, Mark; [email protected]
Subject: [FW1] - Irregular ICMP Unreachable Messages being returned from Firewall

Hi All,

I know something similar to what I am asking has been posted before but I couldn’t see any responses so here goes again.

We have an IP440 running FW1 (v 4.1) protecting a web farm.  All seems to run perfectly except for the fact that randomly and sometimes very often the firewall will apparently stop seeing a particular IP address  on the internal network and respond to all clients with an ICMP type 3 code 1 (Host unreachable message), this can continue for a few seconds or a few minutes.

During this time the site appears to hang for the users and they may receive a page cannot be displayed error.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before and if so does anyone PLEASE know a cure, I am now starting to rip my hair out over this.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Martin Smith

Internet Development Manager

Dow Jones Newswires

Email: [email protected]

Web: www.dowjonesnews.com

EMAIL Confidentiality Statement

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.