[FW1] Problems between firewalls when not encrypting.

I have two firewalls, one is an enterprise encryption center and the other
is a vpn-1 module.

I am having strange problems in that I have serious problems between them
when not using encryption.

the rule that I wouild like to use is just

FW1	FW2	ANY	ACCEPT
---------------------------------------
FW2	FW1	ANY	ACCEPT

but for some reason, there is serious 'lag' when using no encryption.

If I add FWZ encryption, it works perfectly.

For example, without encryption, I telnet from FW1 to FW2 and execute an 'ls
-l' in a large directory, it displays about 2/3 a page and stops, displays
some more and then stops.

If I go back and enable FWZ, it goes through perfectly.

The firewalls are connected via a dedicated T1 Circuit as well as a T1 to
the internet.

I'm sorry if I haven't explained this well, it is so very confusing.  Logic
would dictate that no encryption would be faster and yield better
performance.

Testing that I have done:

Firewall Loaded and FWZ Enabled:	No noticible lag and all services
work fine.

Firewall Loaded and No Encryption:	Noticible lag even in telnet and NFS
does not work along with other services.

Firewall not loaded and forwarding turned on:	No noticible lag and all
services work perfectly.

Our platform is:

AIX 4.3.3 running Firewall-1 4.1 SP5 (just installed SP5 today in hopes that
it would fix this problem)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I can provide more details, but
don't want to post too much info to the public forum.

Joseph Voisin
ENGEL Canada Inc.
htp://www.engelmachinery.com