From: Ron Atkinson [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2001 5:59 PM
To: Steve
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW1] important note to OOF autorepliers

Are the other groups you're on setup so that a reply goes back to the group and not
the sender? In this group a reply goes to the sender, other groups I'm on usually
either, so for them they usually think it's not a problem, or just a simple filter
will get rid of it. That's really not true.

On every mailing list that I'm on that replies go back to the list, anytime an 'Out
of office' message shows up the list owner will unsubscribe the person from the
list and send them a message saying that they an rejoin when they come back from
vacation. Needless to say, it is rare to ever see one of these.

This list should be a place to discuss the FireWall-1 product, and with the
hundreds of messages that I receive a day with work and other lists, it frustrates
me to to receive these messages in all different languages (puts a dent in the
end-user filter when the messages are in a language other than English).

For those that think it's not a problem, I propose that all replies get sent back
to the mailing list and not the sender, then give it a day or two and see how many
junk messages show up. Then put filters on the mail list server and it might
actually be safe to post in here again. As I see it now though, I'm taking a risk
posting here since soon my Inbox will be flooded with OOF autorepliers, and more
time will be wasted today at work.

Ron