[FW1] [FW-1] Log/Report question, FW-1 3.0b

Our firewall filters traffic for a class B and a class C network, a total of
65,792 (2^16 + 256) addresses. It's been noted that when we run reports such
as fwlogsum and others that are home-grown, the number of targeted addresses
within our LAN is never reported above approximately 57,600, which is
exactly 8,192 (2^13) less than the total. The class B network uses a 20-bit
subnet mask, which divides it into 16 subnets of 4,096 addresses each, the
lowest and highest not in use. I can see the relationship between the
various numbers, but I don't understand the discrepancy in reporting.

Given this info, can anyone tell me why there should be such a discrepancy
between the number of addresses and those attacked, when I can see from the
logs that it appears neither the low nor high subnet is excluded from
attack?

Thanks...

Chuck Sterling
System / Network Administrator
NASA White Sands Test Facility
Las Cruces, New Mexico, USAMagic is REAL, unless declared INTEGER