Re: [FW1] Linux not working correctly...

Ryan Snyder wrote:

> I have FW1 SP4 installed on Linux (Redhat 7.0 Kernel 2.2.19) and when
> I start passing traffic, I get the following error in dmesg:

There are 2 possible Kernel modules for the 3-Com 905 cards. We have
had a machine even crashing with kernel panic using the (normally
better) 3c905 module. So we changed to the other module. We used RH 7.0
running Kernel 2.2.16. The machine has three NIC and traceroutes (ICMP
packets) from machines inside the DMZ to remote hosts crashed the FW-1
while the 3c905 module was used.

from /etc/modules.conf of that particular machine

-----8<----------

# better use the old module for the 3-Com Cards
alias eth0 3c59x
# don't use the new driver due to system crashes
# alias eth1 3c90x

-----8<----------

> I have 3com 3C905-C Tornado cards and they are set to Full Duplex (I
> am pretty sure they are).
>
> Also, with the firewall installed, I get about 30-50K/second
> downloads. With the firewall removed, I get 150-250K/second
> downloads.  Is this part of the Transmit errors above?

Might also have something to do with the fact, that the stateful
inspection needs computing power.

Besides that I'd like to know whether others have faced similar
problems using 3-COM 905 Cards with RH 7.0/FW-1

Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Kueter Netzwerkadministration & Security
SHLINK Internet Service http://www.shlink.de [email protected]