From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of
Wolfgang Kueter
Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2001 9:27 AM
To: CP-FW-1
Subject: Re: [FW1] RE: problem using SSH-- Help please!!!

Sim, CT (Chee Tong) <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sorry me again, just some follow up.  I am able to do SSH from the
> firewall to the host (100.101.70.90) without problem, there was
> something I missed during my installation.  But the problem  now I
> failed to SSH from the host (100.101.70.90) to the firewall  Messages
> like "Secure connection to FW refused".

Get professional help, it seems you don't know what you are doing. You
could afford FW-1 software, so you can also afford a consultant, who
knows what he's doing.

The sshd is probably not running. Do a

ps -aux |grep sshd

on the firewallmachine and see whether the deamon is running.

> Is there something to do
> with the FW's inetd.conf file, as I only enable FTP and telnet
> there??

You definitely don't want to run services like telnet or ftp on the
firewall. Switch off those deamons or even better: Delete the binaries
of those deamons. Don't start inetd upon bootup at all, better delete
the binary.

The sshd is not started from inetd but runs as a standalone deamon and
thus has no entry in inetd.conf.  You have either to start the sshd
manually or have an adequate startscript for the sshd in the runlevel
directories, so that sshd is started automatically upon bootup.

Besides that you should think at least twice whether you want to have
the sshd running at all an thus enable remote logins to the firewall
machine. A firewall is a firewall, meaning it should offer only the
absolute minimum of services, actually it should not offer any services
at all. It should definitely not offer telnet and ftp service. If you
allow ssh connections to the firewall, be sure to use host keys for
authentification only and not username/password. This can be configured
in the ssh config file. The opportunity for remote administration is of
course a comfortable feature to have but any service running might be
used for an attack. The more services a machine offers, the more
possibilities for attacks.

And again: If you don't know how to configure all this properly, get
professional help.

Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Kueter Netzwerkadministration & Security
SHLINK Internet Service http://www.shlink.de [email protected]