RE: [FW1] Should I, or should I not...

Personally, I like my Nokias because they're versatile and meet all of my
needs.  Others may disagree.  In this case though, if you want to build a
FW-1 based system which is very good at simply pumping through a lot of
unencrypted traffic, consider building a three node Linux cluster with
Rainwall on top of it.

The benefits I see are:

1.  choice of hardware if this is important to you
2.  higher throughput compared with Solaris and Windows if you believe the
graphs and charts on CP's website.
3.  lower cost for PC-based hardware as opposed to Nokia gear which you pay
a premium for.
4.  an n-node HA/LB cluster allows you to size the cluster appropriately to
take advantage of rolling maintenance and unforeseeable failures.

If you add encryption to the mix, your performance goes way down (relative
to the amount of encrypted traffic actually).  Rainwall gets its impressive
throughput by utilizing asymmetric routing through the cluster.  This will
trash VPN connections but is manageable and will lead to a degredation of
throughput levels.

I believe Compaq/CP/Rainfinity have some sort of bundled offering now but I
can't comment on how that precise config will work for you.  If you are
looking for an appliance type of solution, a la Nokia, this may be an
alternative.

Chris