Re: [FW1] Optimization??

Not only using groups, but also try to (where you can at least) think
more policy than making rules on a per machine-to-machine kind of
rules:

1. Try thinking of "which groups of network object are allowed what
kind of access to other groups of networks?".

2. Group your rules logically:

        * Start a firewall with dealing with traffic terminating
          directly on your firewall (i.e. drop most stuff, accept your
          management clients to the managements console, accept
          management consoles to firewall node, allow VPN's as
          neccersary to temrinate on the given fw node, explicitly
          drop NBT-broadcasts for all nets directly to the firewall
          without logging, to save 90% of crud in your logs, end the
          section with explicit drop of anything terminating in your
          firewall).

        * Start building groups of rules dealing with your traffic,
          usually ordered by priority (rules closer to the top gets
          expedited faster).

        * Build groups of rules for other connectivity that is no oft
          used, but still needed.

        * Deal with with unwanted traffic, usually drop the stuff you
          know will come by that you dont want to know about without
          logging, drop and log the rest.

Now, let the flames ensue on what people think about droping and not
logging, wether to deal with traffic terminating on the firewall node
vs. traffic passing, etc. There are a million preferences.

Oh, and make sure to disable most implicit stuff in the firewall
properties, as it is better to deal with as much of it explicitly in
the rulesets (oh, more flames) :)

cheers,
Alexander