RE: [FW1] Keeping SecureClient PC's Safe.

Couldn't agree more.
And the Secure Client protection isn't optimal.

It becomes dangerous if:
1) You are running only a SecuRemote license (you don't get any policy
enforcement on the client - as far as i have experienced).

2) You are allowing 'Outgoing' or 'Outgoing and Encrypted'.
The fun .exe game you just played installed a trojan that initiates a
connection out to the remote attacker.  Now your filtering is bypassed.
(even 'Encrypted Only' could in theory be exploited by a clever trojan
that encrypted its outgoing traffic).
Or the site you just browsed to exploited the latest vulnerability in IE
and executed arbitrary code as admin.

3) If you aren't running the 'session authentication agent' - the
trojanised version of winzip you just downloaded and installed off an
impersonating ftp server (*grin*) has just bound itself to port 261.
Hmmm... no filtering on that port?  :((

At least the secure client does drop everything that is says it will -
it's just not 'un-exploitable'.

So i guess it comes back down to a few facts:

a) that a poorly configured setup is still vulnerable - even if you
have spent lots of $$$ on your software.

b) if a user is stupid enough to execute an untrusted attachment, or your
attacker is clever enough to comprimise something upstream and start to do
nasty stuff with DNS / connection hijacking - you are still vulnerable.
good anti-viral software will help with the first part of this.

c) operating systems like MS windows (esp 95 / 98 / ME) that execute
everything with administrator privelages are fundamentally INSECURE.
avoid them at all costs.  :))

I like the idea of configuring the firewall for secure-client to only
allow Encrypted connections - outgoing stuff is potentially dangerous.

Filtering outgoing connections from the Client in Checkpoint NG sounds
nice too.  I hope they bring it to 4.1.

Cheers,
-jonny

--