[FW1] Nokia an FW-1 NG

FYI.... Something that FW-1 admins need to be aware of.
I have just tried ordering some Nokia 110s with a 250 user VPN-1 module for
a remote site.

I have been informed by my supplier that 110s will not support NG due to
the extra memory requirements.
Memory is not field upgradeable as it uses surface mount memory chips... we
checked... :-)
Nokias strategy does not seem clear yet, but I cannot even buy a 110 now
with the understanding that it will be swapped out, free of charge or at a
minimum charge, when higher capacity versions become available.

This leaves me in a poor position.
I WONT buy a box that could be obsolete within 6 months.
There is no other appliance that is suitable.
I have cancelled my 110 orders and will not be placing any more until the
position has been cleared up, and I cannot imagine too many network
managers wanting to purchase 110s whilst this situation persists.

Looks like it is back to the good ole Ultra5/Solaris combination! (I can
get them for about the same price as a 110 now anyway....).

I understand that 330s and above should not be affected as they have more
memory anyway.

Phil (Mr Angry)
Co-Ordinator Network Technologies
Veritas DGC Ltd