From: Manish [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2001 11:28 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW1] Fw: ip confilct and firewall crash

dear friend,

i am facing a problem in my setup.

i have attached the diagram of my setup.

as shown in the diagram i have many zones which are protected by the firewall.the firewall is Checkpoint Fw-1 ver 4.1 SP2
i have my firewall operational on Solaris 6.

Zone B has webservers and ftp servers which are being accessed from the internet.

Zone C is the zone where we have the employee's PCs.

yesterday, one of our employees changed his PC's ip to the ip of the firewall . he allotted to his PC the ip of the firewall's Zone C arm .Even after the machine detected ip clash, the employee accepted the warning and continued with change of IP.thus he allotted the ip of the firewall's zone C arm.

after this my firewall crashed.i mean to say that the firewall was not accepting any connection from anywhere.the firewall was not accepting any connection whether it originated from /ended at Zone A or Zone B or internet ( our webserver and ftp server was not accessible from internet) .

after this i have disconnected the employee's PC and restarted firewall.Now the firewall is working fine.

but i am worried if i face this again.

how can i prevent this happening again?do i need to do something on the OS configuration of the firewall machine or alter some firewall settings?

please guide me.please feel free to contact me.

thanks in advance

regards

shameek