RE: [FW1] newbie's questions about log

Hi, Winway :)

> Doesn't FW1 automatically cut logs into files daily?

Nope.

> Should I run 'fw logswitch' manually or by crontab to do this?

That's just a matter of taste, I guess.
I find it convenient ot run it automatically every midnight. (crontab,
or AT, rather, since I'm on NT.)

> Will it cause any problem?

It gets really slow to work with if it's too big, and
bigger files are always harder to move around, and also more
prone to becoming corrupted.

> Can I and how can I cut it into pieces now?

Do an "fw logexport -n" to create a text file.
Then manually split it. (A perl script would be good for this.)

> How these small log files appear? What does 'ela' mean?

No idea, sorry..

> And what are the files of '.alog', '.alogptr', '.logptr', '.logtrack',
> '.vlog' and '.vlogptr'?

.alog is the accounting log.
The ptr-files are pointer files to the log files.  What exactly they do
to, I don't know, but I'm guessing it's and index-thing.
If you remove a ptr file, the fw will regenerate it when accessing the
corresponding
log file.

.vlog?  No clue.

Cheers,