Re: [FW1] What is wong with this mailinglist!!!!

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 03:44:22PM +0200, Patrick Lotti wrote:

> "McCammon, Keith" wrote:
> > That should be obvious.  Look at the success of CodeRed.  Companies, for the
> > most part, must be hiring complete morons to watch their firewalls.  The
> > same morons, no doubt, who they are hiring to guard their web servers.
> >
> > We're surrounded by idiots!
> >
> Is it that only idiots and few normals joined that mailing list?
>
> And all other mailing lists are never joined by idiots, because
> they don't have/support this nice _feature_ OutOfOfficeReply?
> Or did I get you wrong?

You may just have been lucky. I have been receiving autoreplies from
almost any list I've been posting to recently, just not so much as from
this one. Or maybe people on your lists all use Unix vacation, which is
smart enough not to reply to mailing lists, which FYI have Precedence
header set to bulk, junk or list and therefore can be easily identified
by autoreply software. It just shows again how much disrespect Microsoft
and other commercial vendors have for Internet standards and practices.

Concerning this list, as I was told, it has about 10000 subscribers. I
counted a maximum of about 20-25 autoreplies to a post -- that means
less than some 0.3% of this list members are computer illiterate (not
being a doctor, I cannot say whether it means they are idiots, although
it looks very likely to me).

If this number also applies to smaller lists, you simply cannot see as
much autoreplies as from this one. Then, if you post, say, about once a
month, you may simply be lucky enough to miss all of them...

greetings

Hanus Adler