Re: [FW1] Re: ICMP

Greetings!

Depending on what you want, just disabling Smurf Attacks (and associate Fraggle which connects to the network address -
instead of the broadcast as Smurf does), you need to block ICMP echo requests to network base and network broadcast
addresses.

So first define three "network" objects for the network you want to protect against Smurf but want to be able to PING. For
this LAN (or DMZ) network being 10.10.10.0/24 this most probably will be:
    Network_smurf   = (workstation)  10.10.10.255
    Network_fraggl  = (workstation)  10.10.10.0
    Network_net     = (network)      10.10.10.0    mask 255.255.255.0

Then add among the first rules a rule stating:
    Any --> Network_smurf / Network_fraggl --- ICMP echo-request -- DROP
    Any --> Network_net                    --- ICMP echo-request -- ACCEPT

You will want to disable the implicit rule as stated by Ken below.

Bye
    Volker

Volker Tanger  <[email protected]>
 Wrangelstr. 100, 10997 Berlin, Germany