RE: [FW1] fw.log and RE: [FW1] Why is log viewer so lame ?!

[...]
> My problem: the fw.log-file at my primary firewall (which
> does not have the
> management) is growing enourmous and has now 749 MB! After a
[...]

Hello.

To prevent huge and unmanageable logs (see also the thread about the lame log viewer), I run a daily script that :

1) rotate the log (the *fw logswitch* command)
2) create an editable version (the *fw logexport* command)
3) append the date and time to these 2 files names
4) move these both to a HD directory and to a tape for archiving
5) updates a log of this archiving

It's quite helpful to me, and yields files around 1 MB, much easier to deal with.

Leaving a FW log grow up to several 100's MB seems to me unappropriate : in this case, a single *select* in the log viewer would last forever !

Regards