[FW1] interface will not function

Dear all:

We are using card 4, port 4 on a Nokia 440 (4.1) appliance that has never
been used before.  We turned the interface on and arps work, but when a ping
has been attempted, we get the following output.

TXFRW05[admin]# ping 172.23.30.250
PING Thu Aug  9 15:12:07 2001 172.23.30.250: 64 data bytes
Aug  9 15:12:07 TXFRW05 [LOG_CRIT] kernel: fw_filterin: 6 (eth-s4p4c0)
unknown interface

We did see this on www.phoneboy.com.
FireWall-1 FAQ: Adding a New Interface Without Rebooting
<http://www.phoneboy.com/faq/0076.html
While the FireWall-1 kernel loadable module is installed, it prevents new
interfaces from coming up. To add a new interface to your FireWall-1 machine
without rebooting (i.e. to do this quickly as possible), you will need to
un-install, the kernel loadable module, bring up the new interfaces,
re-install the kernel loadable module, and reload your security policy.
Warning: Unplug yourself from the network before doing these commands this
since FireWall-1 will not be able to enforce your security policy at this
time.
The commands are:
	# fw ctl uninstall
	< Do your ifconfig commands here >
	# fw ctl install
	# fw fetch localhost
Note: FireWall-1 4.0 and later does not have this limitation, neither does
FireWall-1 on IPSO.
Should we follow this procedure?
Has anyone else run into this before?

Eric