RE: [FW1] esafe gateway cvp

Zinc,

Stay away from CVP scanning of email. Why:
a) Max 10 to 100 concurrent SMTP sessions
b) Max 600 concurrent HTTP sessions (1200 on dual CPU)
c) No MX resolving

ad a)
Apperently the maxminum number of concurrent SMTP sessions is 10, which
can be tweaked up to 100.
I got this information from a Dutch system interator.

ad b)
There is a programmattic limit of max 600 concurrent http sessions for
CVP (any CVP) per processor.
I got this information from chackpoint USA who are working on a call for
us.

ad c)
What happens with outbound SMTP.
1. THe internal mail server resolves the mx records for the address:
2. THe internal mail server sends the SMTP message to the ip adress,
FW-1 intercepts this and reports successfull delivery
3. eSafe checks for virusses
4. FW-1 sends the email to the ip address from step 2

Now, if the host was to go down between 2 and 4, the message will never
arrive, alltough your internal mail server got sa successfull delivery
receipt.

Regards,
Frank