RE: [FW1] RE: unknown established tcp packet

Hi Thomas,

I received the following explanation from Checkpoint.  This problem occurs
most often when a user ends a session without the session having a chance to
finish a FIN sequence.  For example a user is browsing the web and suddenly
exits out of his browser the session ends as far as FW1 is concerned but the
other end keeps trying to send data, that is when you get the infamous
'unknown established tcp packet' in your logs.

Checkpoints two solutions are this:

/*
 * Uncomment the following line in fwui_head.def to enable TCP Non-SYN
packet to go through the rule-base.
 */
/*#define ALLOW_NON_SYN_RULEBASE_MATCH */

This basically strips all of the data out of the packet and then sends it
through to its destination.  This allows the destination host to receive the
packet and send a retransmit in turn re-establishing the connection.
Checkpoint claims this is safe but in my opinion it leaves you open for a
possible DoS attack.

/*
 * Comment the following line in fwui_head.def to disable logging of TCP
Non-SYN packets dropped because they are not allowed to go through the
rule-base.
 */
#define NON_SYN_RULEBASE_MATCH_LOG

This in my opinion is probably your best solution.  You prevent a Non-SYN
packet from flowing through your firewall but at the same time you don't
have to worry about getting logs or alerts notifying you that this has
happened.  This is currently what I do and have yet to see this cause any
problems or performance degradation at my location.

I hope this helps,
-Ryan Nobrega
-Systems/Security Manager
-Southern CT State University