[FW1] VPN failure

Kirwyn Cambridge wrote:
>Have anyone seen a VPN is allowing authentication to get through but not
>allowing traffic through the firewall? I have fw4.1 on an NT box with
>service pack 5. It worked for about 3 months and just died suddenly. The
>license is valid and current. Please email me with any ideas. Thank you!

We observed the same problem. It occured after we added some
internal network objects to our firewall configuration. Everything seemed
ok until we forced a site update on some of our VPN clients.

The firewall creates a new tpology file for the VPN client which can be
found on the client in the file

C:\program files\checkpoint\secureremote\database\userc.C

In this file there is a section "topology" containing entries for all
defined internal network objects. In our configuration the entry for our
internal network was the 10th entry in this section. If we delete a minor
important network object in our firewall policy, reload the policy and
force a site update on the VPN clients, there remain only nine topology
objects in the file userc.C and everything works fine!

Seems that the checkpoint people use a one digit counter to handle these
entrys.

Dipl.-Ing. Rolf-Achim Reichart
Cegelec Anlagen- und
Automatisierungstechnik GmbH
Technische Dienste
addr 	    Goldsteinstr. 238, D-60528 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
voice     +49-69-6699-768 (9.00am to 5.00pm MET)
fax       +49-69-6699-655
email     [email protected]