-----Original Message-----
From: Nico De Ranter [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2001 4:36 AM
To: [email protected]

<rant>

I am subscribed to a large number of mailinglists mainly
development and security related. Some of them are low
traffic some of them generate a few hundreds of e-mails a day.
There isn't a single mailinglist amongst them however that
generates as much autoreplies as the FW-1 mailinglist. Aren't
we supposed to be a bunch of security aware people managing
firewalls? Then why are so many people yelling "He, I won't
be looking until xx/xx, you've got my e-mail address and domain
from the e-mail headers, please go ahead and crack my site.
I'll do the forensics when I'm back in a week or two."
If you go on vacation to a far away island, do you attach
a paper to your window saying "this house will be empty for
the next few weeks"?  I'm sure most of you will have a
backup administrator to look after the firewall when you're gone
but unless you're working for a very big company (s)he is probably
not going to know as much about the system as you do.
I you realy have to use vacation messages then please configure
it properly so it won't send replies to mailinglists.

</rant>

Sorry for using up bandwidth with this message but I realy
got pissed after having received the 20th autoreply message.

Nico

 "It has been said that there are only two businesses that
  refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
               the computer industry."
Nico De Ranter
Sony Service Center (SDCE/NEE-B)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
e-mail: [email protected]