Re: RE: [FW1] SecureRemote via Internet connection sharing through a DSL

Hi all

I´ve faced the same problem: nat and securemote together do not work.
It seems that the encryption performed by securemote somehow hides all
trace of internal private ip addressing on the home site so the nat
router is not able to nat the internal private address to the public ip
routable on the internet. That way the packet arrives to the firewall
with a private ip address and no return is possible to home devices, as
that ip is not routable. The encrypted packets do arrive to the
firewall gateway, I´ve seen it on the log, but with private addressing
(not natted to the public ip of the adsl router), so when returning
packets they are dropped by the boundary router of the firewall.

What´s funny is that other different encryption clients (Altavista
tunnel if you know it) do work under the same conditions. So Altavista
seems to do the thing right, encrypting only data and not the tcp
header in order to let the router nat the packet correctly to traverse
the internet to get to the company and then back to the home device.
The sad thing is that Altavista is out of production, as Compaq bought
Digital and obsoleted it.

So if Altavista is able to work what makes it different from securemote
that makes this last unusable on adsl routers performing nat? And best,
how can we make securemote behave like altavista in terms of nat, if
possible? These two questions remain to be answered in order for me to
tell my bosses (who all have nat routers with adsl at home) what to do
to be able to work at home like they were at the office.

Any hint from any charitable soul would be much appreciated.

Best regards