From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2001 12:20
To: Lars Troen
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: RE: [FW1] Trojans & spyware imitating alowed trafic

Lars,

have you thought about internal users shoveling out loads of company data
via http? If you allow connections to freemail providers, you can upload
attachments, cut-and-paste info to mail forms, whatever. If I block all
access to freemailers, an internal culprit can still set up his own
external server listening and accpeting uploads on port 80 (or any allowed
outbound service for that matter)

Would you agree that the only solution to this is a thorough content
screening package? I think this issue is often overlooked, at least it's
not as heavily being discussed as other vulnerabilities....

Cheers
Ralf

                    "Lars Troen"
                    <[email protected]>                    To:     "Kim
S. Lohse" <[email protected]>,
                    Sent by:
"[email protected]"
                    [email protected]
<[email protected]>
                    kpoint.com                                  cc:
RE: [FW1] Trojans & spyware imitating
                                                                alowed
trafic
                    11.07.01 09:18

Kim,
I guess you'll find what you need here:
http://www.hp-ux.com/security/checkpoint/ar.htm

This still can't block a trojan from transfering a file through ftp, but it
will prevent the use of other protocols on port 21. In the security server
settings you can also prevent upload and/or download if that's what you
need.

Lars