From: Greg Winkler [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2001 3:34 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW1] Do you allow http to ports other than 80?

Recently I've been bombarded by requests from my users to gain access to
websites outside the company that run on ports other than 80. Off the top
of my head I recall sites running on 9022, 8095, 81, 89, 8081, 8080, and
I'm sure I've forgotten a few. Up until today I could never get them to
work. I've just learned that, YES, it is possible to allow this on a
firewall by creating a new service with a protocol type set to URI and by
adding a line to fwauthd.conf of the format

port#         in.ahttpd       wait    0

It was the update to fwauthd.conf that had me stymied.

My only objection now is that each of these new ports requires another http
security server process to monitor it. I'd just as soon not have a million
security servers running on my firewall to support a very small community
of users who need access to these oddball websites.

Just what is it with these website admins? Why must they run their sites on
odd port numbers? What's scary is that some of the sites are running on
ports that have been assigned to other services. What the heck is one to do
when the web-site conflicts with the legitimate use of that port?

I feel like making a stand...."Just say NO to websites that don't run on
port 80". But it appears I will just get stampeded. Do you allow access to
these sites where you work?